Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Apparently….Teenagers Know Everything

I am 38 years old and the mother of four…two of whom happen to be teenagers. I honestly thought that I was quite clever. I realize I’m not a brilliant Einstein but I do have a good idea now and then and I must say that I would do quite well if I were ever a contestant on the television show Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader.

Well, despite all of these fantastic facts, I had forgotten something very important! I had forgotten that age, experience, and intelligence do not hold a candle to the so called knowledge of teenagers. They know it all and have figured out the conspiracy plan that all parents have…the conspiracy plan to ruin their lives.

Now, if you just so happen to be a parent to one of these brilliant, all knowing teenagers, you might ask yourself…”is there anything I can do to appear a little wiser to my children?” The answer is a resounding NO. Don’t even try to fight it. Honestly, the harder you fight it, the brighter they become.

If you happen to be in a daze, shaking your head, wondering how to deal with these all knowing creatures, I offer a few words of advice….not wisdom because apparently, now that I have teenagers, all of my wisdom has left my body….but rather advice. Learn to smile and nod in agreement. My favorite saying is this; “yes, I know….or rather don’t know…I know nothing but I’m okay with that and you are still grounded.” The ability to take away fun privileges from all-knowing teenagers really has helped me deal with the fact I know nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment